Saturday, February 27, 2010

Surrender ...


When I see that my sight stops at the end of the wall in front,
When I see my words cannot go beyond the depth of the space around,
When I see that what I write cannot be understood by all,
When I see that I am misunderstood at times, I surrender.

When I see that my age does prevent me from walking fast,
When I see that I see things not so clear,
When I see that my old friends do not want me,
When I see that I cannot enjoy food, at times; I surrender.

When I see people suffering and pain,
When I see violence and suppression,
When I see hunger and anger,
When I see wildfire and volcanoes, I surrender.

When I see failure and inaction,
When I see politics and news headlines,
When I see fashion and emotions,
When I see passion and no motion, I surrender.

When I see darkness and untruth,
When I see silence and people in masks,
When I see destiny and the end of the road,
When I see death and nothing beyond, I surrender.

When I look at nature and God,
When I look at someone poorer than me,
When I go through the pages of history,
I wonder why I ever surrender.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very refreshing!

    Note: My intention is not to be mordant. Being one of the admirers of the author, I just take the privilege to express my spontaneous inner feelings as an audience.

    “Tilted, but accelerating growth” Beholder as a motivator, I suppose

    “Titillating, but impedimental growth” Beholder with an objective outlook
    (Notwithstanding, beauty is a common thread)

    “Possible? Yes.” A motivator quips.

    “Possible? Wielding for what?” A utilitarian retorts.
    (When in need one thinks of its possibilities.)


    The bloom….

    The bloom is rhythmic, albeit the poem is likely to bemuse many a serious reader whose intuitive mind may refuse to imbibe whatever is on offer. Variant to its inherent theme, the reality of the work leads the reader to no-man’s-land in its art of rhetoric having to vie heavily against the actual sensual images that are oddly presented by the poet placing them in an arid backdrop. That is what perhaps the imaginative catch is. The poet’s attempt to project such a philosophical notion through a few metaphoric lines, by all means, is appreciable. A good picture placed in a small frame.

    Surrender…

    Stages may be set differently to all.
    No one is prepared to mentally surrender. Surreptitiously though, anyone can be conquered.
    The stark reality of one’s life is eloquently depicted here.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written. But I feel Surrender has a lot of positive connotation. Lord krishna advocated surrender of every thought, word and action so that He could take care of the results.. Surrender does not mean giving up in any manner..It simply means trying to detach oneself from the fruit and leaving the onus on HIM..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Deepali,

    Probably my intent was to the contents of the first five stanzas of the write-up. The final stanza suggests "why I surrender OR SUBMIT" on those five stanzas, but look at God and SURRENDER only to GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as the poem is concerned, shall we substitute "Give In", "Quit" or "Submit" for "surrender".

    Though well written,I do not tend to agree. I would rather fight than give in.And just because we do not fight,we experience what Amarnath experiences. Let us change our attutudes ,face the brutes,fight and change.

    ReplyDelete